The Herbert Lehman Education Fund Scholarship
DEADLINE: April 1, 2018
The Herbert Lehman Scholarship is a national, highly competitive scholarship that makes annual awards to qualified, outstanding undergraduate students. The scholarship, established in 1964, is named after the former Governor and United States Senator from New York in recognition of his integrity, courage, and persistence on behalf of numerous civil rights causes.
Herbert Lehman Scholarships were initially awarded to help African-American students attend formerly segregated four-year colleges and universities in the South and to increase the number of African Americans in the legal profession.
Today, the mission of the Herbert Lehman Education Program is to help transform the promise of racial equality into a social, economic, and political reality by supporting talented undergraduate students with financial need to stay in school and successfully complete their bachelor’s degree.
Currently, Herbert Lehman Scholarships are open to students who meet the eligibility and award criteria. Awards generally do not exceed four years.
Eligibility & Award Criteria
- U.S. Citizenship;
- Must be a graduating high school senior, first-year student in an accredited four-year college, or a student transferring into an accredited four-year college;
- Demonstrated financial need - must have a combined family income of $65,000 or less;
- Record of academic achievement; and
- Demonstrated commitment to public service;
Herbert Lehman Scholarship awards are $2,000 per year for four years totaling $8,000 (as long as scholars remain in good academic standing and continue to meet the scholarship criteria). All students will be notified of their status via postal mail or email by mid-July.
Scholarship Application Checklist
Your application must contain all nine items in the exact order listed below, as following:
- Completed Scholarship Application Form (found online);
- A copy of the acceptance letter to the college you will attend;
- Two recommendation letters;
- A copy of your transcript from current school (finalists will be required to submit an official transcript);
- A personal statement;
- An essay;
- A copy of your SAT and/or ACT test scores; and
- A copy of your Student Aid Report (FAFSA Form).
- Finalists will be required to submit a head shot photograph (passport size). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: We are accepting applications by email ONLY. All nine items on the checklist must be attached in one PDF in the order provided by the checklist above and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Herbert Lehman Scholarship – Last name, First name. If you need additional space in the application form, please attach a separate page. Applications sent to LDF by mail, fax, or in-person will NOT be accepted.
More information @ http://www.naacpldf.org/herbert-lehman-education-fund-scholarship