Who Can Apply
Students who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Current 8th grade students
- Low socioeconomic status
- First generation college-going youth
- Underrepresented students
- Students under performing in the traditional setting who have the potential to be successful.
Criteria For Selection
To be selected, students must submit the following criteria:
- Completed application by family
- 8th grade report card – first and second progress report (Baseline – 2.00 GPA)
- Parent and student interview
- Prior educational experience (attendance, discipline, etc.)
- Recommendation from the middle school
- Reside within the Antelope Valley Unified
The number of freshmen applicants typically exceeds the number of spaces available. Since all eligible applicants cannot be admitted, SOAR makes use of an interview process to determine acceptance. The selection criteria is used to identify applicants who have demonstrated the ability and willingness to achieve and who have a variety of other qualities that can contribute to the strength and diversity of this unique campus environment.